Union County History
Union County Villages / Post Offices of the Past and Present
- Edinburg: Laid out as a town in 1875 in section 35, Dodge Township, five miles northeast of Afton, but did not build up.
- McDill: A community in section 12, Dodge Township, as appears on maps of 1881 to 1889.
- Creston: 1869 – Present, County Seat
- Cromwell: 1869 - Present
- Hawkeye City: Laid out in section 11, Douglas Township but never built up.
- Platte: 1856 - 1860
- Shannon City: 1887 - Present
- Highland: Laid out in 1855 in section 25 near the center of the county. It grew rapidly, contested for the county seat, but when Afton won it in 1857, it was soon deserted.
- Thayer: 1869 - Present
- Alaska: 1868 - 1869
- Kings: 1855 - 1860
- Patriot: 1861 - 1866
- Petersville: A town settled by the Mormons in 1847 in the northern part of section 30, north of the Grand River. It was the first county seat, 1853 to 1855, losing to Afton in the latter year. It was a Post Office from 1856 to 1858. The town was vacated about 1860.
- Pisgah: Sometimes called Mt Pisgah, a populous village of huts settled by the Mormons in 1847 in section 8 about one mile northeast of the railroad village of Talmage. It was a Post office from 1851 to 1854.
- Talmage: 1888 - 1940
- West Union: Platted in 1854 in section 22 about one mile southwest of Thayer. A busy town on the stage line. Vacated in 1863.
- Lorimor: 1888 - Present
- Monette: 1889 - 1893
- New Hope: 1856 - 1880 in the western part of New Hope Township.
- Zalia: A post office (1879-88) in the northern part of section 12, New Hope Township, about one and one-half miles northeast of the present town of Lorimor.
- Coelo: 1858 - 1859
- Kent: 1871 – 1994
- Madden’s Grove:
- Union City: 1858-1872
- Bismark: Laid out as a town in 1876 in section 36, Pleasant Township, on Grand River, but never built up.
- Olio: A post office (1856-64) slightly northeast of the center of Pleasant Township
- Tingley: A post office by this name was in existence near the southwest corner of Pleasant Township from 1868 to 1881. At the latter date the present town of Tingley in the northern part of Ringgold County was established.
Sand Creek Township
- Arispe: 1887 - Present
- Olivet: 1871 - 1874
- Spaulding Station: 1879-1933
- Afton: 1854 - Present
- Afton Junction:
- Philo: 1856 - 1864 Located about four miles southeast of Afton in the southeastern part of Union Township.
- Shepard Station: 1896 - 1905
- Myers: Post Office from 1858 to 1860